- Khalid has 28 years of Pharma and Biotech industry experience. He is an advisor to the venture group Kurma Biofund (Paris), founder/co-founder of Sirius Healthcare Partners GmbH (Zurich), PrevAbr LLC (D.C.), BioAim LLC (L.A.) & Life Sciences Management GmbH (Zug).
- He has been the Chairman and CEO of Gentium S.p.A. (a Nasdaq-listed company; 2009-2014) where he led the transition from a loss-making to a cash-flow positive and profitable company. Under his leadership Defitelio was granted Marketing Authorisation in the EU and the company value increased from 25m USD leading to a successful all cash 1billion USD merger with Jazz pharmaceuticals, plc.
- From 1999-2008, he was President and CEO of Arpida AG where he transitioned the early-stage start-up to a SWX-listed company and raised 300m USD in the IPO and follow-ons.
- From 1987-1999, he held various positions in HMR & MMD (now Sanofi-Aventis).
- From 1977-1987, he worked in academia at Imperial College (Univ. of London) and in Milan University, where he was a contract professor. Dr. Islam is a graduate of Chelsea College and received his Ph.D. from Imperial College, University of London. He holds several patents and has published over 85 articles in leading journals and is a member of the Editorial Board of Current Drug Discovery and Technologies.
- He is currently a member of the Board of Directors of Karolinska Development (KDEV.ST; Stockholm), Molmed (MLM.MI; Milan), Fennec (FRX.TO; North Carolina) and OxThera (Stockholm) and has previously been a member of the Board of Directors of Arpida AG (Basel and DC), Rheoscience AS (Copenhagen); PCovery AS (Copenhagen), Adenium AS (Copenhagen) and C10 Pharma AS (Oslo).